Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Two Great Holiday Decoration Ideas

I broke out the Christmas decorations and started to put things out and about. For today's post I'm going to show you how I've used these two great pieces to decorate for Christmas. Lets start with the silver bowl.
I got this great piece at the Sally Anne a few years ago for a couple dollars. Its tarnished and never looks perfect but that's why i love it. Its rustic and I've never really used it for anything other than holding change. But i had a great idea for it this year.
 As you've heard in my other post i had replanted my amaryllis and had gotten my other plants ready. Then i came across this great pack of Narcissus Bulbs at Canadian Tire for $4.99. How gorgeous, except I've never had them before SO lets give them a try.
 First i started by placing river rocks in the bottom of the silver bowl so it allows some drainage. I also used these because they are what i had around. You can use whatever type of rocks or pebbles you like.
 I used standard Miracle Gro Potting mix because it has all the nutrients in it already.
I started by filling the bowl 3/4 full of potting soil. Then i placed the bulbs in and covered enough soil around them to cover most of the bulbs leaving the tips exposed like you do with an amaryllis. Then i gave them a little water and sat them on my table where they get alot of day time sun light. I do plan on covering the dirty with something more Christmasy just want to wait until the bulbs are up more before i cover the top.

Next is the Apothecary Jar that i have used several times around the house
 For this one i left some rocks in the bottom because its pretty narrow in the bottom and i don't want things to get stuck.

 Then i have take i simple box of smaller tree decorations that i had purchased last year for $4 at Walmart and placed them inside. I love the look. Not sure where I'm gonna place it yet since i only have a little bit of decorations done but they will both find a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment