Sunday, November 6, 2011

Getting Your Planters Ready For Christmas

The past couple of days I've gotten all the Halloween and fall decorations down and packed away in a big Rubbermaid tote, Ive raked the front yard, I covered my front flower beds in leaves to protect them and I've been researching great ideas for Christmas. Since i was wide awake at 6 this morning due to the time change I've been doing alot around the house today. Kane helped me replant my amaryllis bulb, put some new dirt in my Christmas cactus and replant my African violet as well as water all my other plants in the house. Then we decided to go outside for awhile and ended up getting all the stuff i needed for my planters. I just love when people fill there planters with fresh clipped cedar bows, natural branches, pine cones and all kinds of assorted things. So that's what i did to mine
I had already taken all my plants out anyways because they were annuals and i left the planters full of dirt, so i can replant in the spring. With my empty planter i first started in the center with my branches and winter berries. The red berries wont last for long as the birds love to eat them. Keep in mind you can use whatever you have available in your region to create these planters and i will share some other pics in the end.


 Then i started working with my fresh cut cedar bows working my way around the planter until i got my desired fullness. Then i went around again and placed in bows of long needle pine. I find the shorter pine needles dry out quicker and don't keep as well as the longer style. I should know the name of the pine tree but I'm sure my dad will tell me later. Then i simply made a chartreuse green ribbon bow and fastened it to one of the branches with the twist i used to make the bow with. You can use other accessories too like dried flowers, artificial flowers, Christmas balls or ornaments.

The final pic didn't turn out so well because of the sun setting. But my house is looking a step closer to Christmas decorations.

As i promised i will share some other great planter ideas i love too






No comments:

Post a Comment