Monday, February 7, 2011

Feeling Tropical

This past weekend I was home at my parents house in Bancroft for my moms 50th birthday party. We got to stay the whole weekend, it was so enjoyable to be home again. I got to spend lots of time with my sister Annie-Megan who is now my editor of my blog. She's been getting into plants lately, she's even got my Mom's garden planned out. It's going to be amazing! Anyways she was showing me her palm tree she bought from work, its gorgeous. I got telling her about how Craig took me plant shopping at Home Depot because they were having 20% off all there indoor plants, but mostly I think I confused her about what I bought. So I'm blogging about the plants I bought.

1. This plant is called a CYCAD. The tag says it's supposedly the oldest known plant. It is prickly. The bottom looks like a small pineapple and the top almost reminds me of jumbo pine branches.

2. Is a Money Tree, I just love this plant and it is doing amazing in my entrance.

3. We had Bought 2 CYCLAMEN. One has white and purple blooms and the other is a Deep Magenta Pink.
 I think that the white and purple one was planted too tightly its now starting to dye off
But the magenta one is beautiful and is doing amazing in my bathroom.

4. Is unknown, the tag just said assorted tropicals. But its a beautiful hanging plant

5. Lastly my sad looking palm. This is what my cute adorable kitten has done to my palm and I don't know if I will be able to revive it. This was Craig's favorite plant. It use to be full and gorgeous but now its kind of limp and dead like.
Another thing I wanted to show was my amaryllis its dying off but has sprouted 2 new shouts which one has broken away from the bulb and one is attached. So next year I should have 3 Amaryllis plants.

While I was home everyone kept asking me about what I did with my daybed I had bought and refurbished. So here it is as well. This is Kane's favorite place to play, you can see his dinosaurs in the window. He likes to watch out the window here and its soft and comfy.

You might notice somethings wrong like the curtains are too short, but they are temps until my curtains are finished being made. The corners have come undone on my daybed, so I do need to staple them back into place. The pillow covers were all purchased at fabricland on sale for $3 and are all 17"x17" covers. My mom has bought me the two hounds tooth plaid pillows a couple years ago when I convinced her to fill out a ballet for a mothers day draw at fabricland in Peterborough and she had won $100. All of the pillow forms I have purchased at the local Stedmans V&S for $4.99.  The day bed has been so functional under the window in our living room additional seating and great seat for some sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I love your new plants, they look great! I really like the look at your cycad and money tree. Your cyclamen needs some dead heading, it might help stop it from dying off. As for you palm fern, WOW, did Muggins ever do a job on that one. Try cutting the dead leafs off. Maybe even stake your palm and use string to help support you limp leaf, if you can save them. Your day bed looks great, specially where you put it and the pillows you have added to it. We enjoyed having you home for the weekend. We MISS you a lot and love you always.
    xoxo
    Megan

    ReplyDelete